[Freedombox-discuss] Social Sync (was: Re: Is / Is Not)

Josef Spillner 2005 at kuarepoti-dju.net
Fri Jun 10 07:33:06 UTC 2011

Hello,

:: Philippe Clérié Freitag 10 Juni 2011
> If at all possible, we should stay away from anything that can't be synced
> via rsync, unison or similar programs.

You can be sure that smart re-indexing of manually copied files is among my
requirements as well. However, my approach to bugs in Debian packages would
not be "let us stay away" but rather to bring this requirement up to the
attention of the packagers or upstream developers so that they can fix it.

In this particular case, I've just talked to the developers. They clearly said
that by design file-based access is possible, when afterwards the index (the
database cache) is rebuilt through a d-bus call or an inotify trigger. When it
still doesn't work for you, please file a wishlist report against the
packaging metadata for starting the trigger from /etc/init.d or something.
Discussing this further on this list would be seriously off-topic, especially
since I'm not necessarily advocating for Akonadi and instead advocate for
reaching a big picture diagram first before drawing any decisions.

Josef