[Freedombox-discuss] objectives

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Sat Jun 11 01:47:50 UTC 2011

On 06/08/2011 01:17 PM, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> Catching up on recent list traffic, it's clear to me that we're
> suffering from the fact that "freedombox" means so many different things
> to different people.

Unfortunately yes. It's spiralled out of control. To me the FreedomBox
is a way
for folks to have complete data ownership. From blogs/forum to telcom
and finance. In
a secure and sustainable fashion.

>   As a member of the foundation's board and chair of
> the technical advisory committee, I've spent a lot of time thinking
> about what it is that we're actually trying to do, and pondering how to
> get from where we are to a useful reference implementation.  To that
> end, I think it's time to articulate a roadmap, starting with a
> statement of objectives for the core that consolidates our shared values
> and vision, and provides a framework for turning our is/is-not thinking
> in to a manifest of software components to be included in a system
> image.

Sure. I've spent the past 18 months or so doing just that. I posted to
the list  and didn't get any responses. I'm at like... 80% of completion
of a freedombox
stack that I plan to ship in next 30 days or so. I've been at this for a
long time. See
http://blog.knownelement.com/2011/04/14/my-roadmap-for-the-emergent-technology-initiative/
for more.

Bit of a brain dump format. It's being re worked to be a lot more
paresable. Maybe that's why I didn't get any responses. *shrugs*. I
build stuff. Web operations is where I live each and every day. From
small , single neighbourhood networks to massive (100+ million unique
hits per day) sites.

Essentially it's as follows

1) Complete and ship my freedombox stack << next 30 to 90 days are all
about this for me.
2) Work on building an open network comprised of freedombox and other
components.  << doing a bit of this over next 90 days as well.

I've had a lot of logistical issues to work out (recently moved from CA
to TX), but those are mostly cleared up now. I have a major
coding/configuring/documenting  sprint planned for this weekend. After
that I plan to get a very detailed roadmap published for Fbox and
associated bits. I'm not on any boards or committees, but I have been
pushing the data ownership mantra for some time now.

>   We want to provide a way for people to share with others narrowly or
>   broadly a set of thoughts and media objects hosted on infrastructure
>   they own themselves and thus have ultimate control over, as an
>   attractive alternative to such sharing via popular existing services
>   that provide little control.
>
>   We want to provide a way for people to communicate with each other
>   privately, minimizing their dependence on service providers, and
>   hopefully providing some resiliency in the face of service outages.

You hit the nail on the head. I don't want to do it, I am doing it. I've
built multiple mesh networks and run one at home as my production
network. How many others here are actively doing data ownership and free
network operation?