[Freedombox-discuss] Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Mauricio Pasquier Juan mauricio at pasquierjuan.com.ar
Mon Jun 13 08:45:37 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from TR Shaw <tshaw at oitc.com> -----
>
> From: TR Shaw <tshaw at oitc.com>
> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 18:59:15 -0400
> To: Jeroen van Aart <jeroen at mompl.net>
> Cc: nanog at nanog.org
> Subject: Re: Yup; the Internet is screwed up.
>

> On Jun 11, 2011, at 6:37 PM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
>
>> Eugen Leitl wrote:
>>> It definitely reduces need for moving human bodies in metal boxes
>>> back and forth, and reduces road wear and carbon dioxide emissions.
>>
>> I think a world of telecommuting employees is a utopia that will not be reached in my lifetime. Most companies have proven to be unwilling to make it a reality, exceptions just confirm the rule. Fiber to the premises or whatever broadband solution one may implement will not change that much.
>>
>> Until the human factor changes...
>
> I'm not sure where this thread is going but rural america and rural canada are rolling their own broadband connectivity in places.
>
> I just helped a friend in NW Ont (in the bush) to mesh all his neighbors (the term neighbors is a stretch due to distance) together with the wireless mesh connected all the way back to where a cabin had LOS view to a canopy POP.

This[0] is a great resource in case you don't know it.

> I know of similar grass roots wireless mesh system in the farmlands of mid america. Its very big in the Caribbean also.

These kind of community networks are spreading all over the world[1]
in one form or another. I participate in an effort here in Buenos
Aires that already is 10 years old. In my country several major cities
have a similar group. And next month we have the third event called
something as Free Networks Regional Meeting[2] in Porto Alegre,
Brasil.

[0]: http://wndw.net/
[1]: http://wiki.buenosaireslibre.org/OtrasRedes
[2]: http://www.redeslibres.org/