[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox experiment & Sister project

Isaac Wilder isaac at freenetworkmovement.org
Thu Jun 16 03:05:04 UTC 2011

On 06/15/2011 12:05 PM, Abhishek Dasgupta wrote:
> On 15 June 2011 18:25, <bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org> wrote:
>> I guess for someone's blog or wiki, if ikiwiki is the choosen software, a
>> simple DNS round robin might answer this issue. Then the user would just
>> have to find some friends to be part of it, and rsync/upload its static
>> html on every IP listed in the DNS. This is for the slashdotting part only
>> still, for the assymetrical problem, apart pressure on ISP to provide real
>> symmetrical internet access, it doesn't seem there are so many solutions.
>>

> Won't this only work if all of the parties have static IPs? Since most
> people are on dynamic IPs, this would not solve the problem.
>
> - Abhishek
I agree strongly. Network Address Translation stands in the way of
creating global-scale peer-to-peer infrastructure. The Free Network
Foundation is applying for a block of v6 addresses for use in the
construction of a free network. A few multi-homed and well-connected
boxes could host a distributed hash table used for announcing routes
to freedomboxes. Call it the freeDHT, maybe. Boxes would announce
their location periodically. Then, to find a friends box, you would
only need to know their address.

The same principle applied by bertagaz could be used here, though not
via DNS, but rather by freeDHT.

As for link symmetry, many ISPs do offer symmetric uplinks. As the
practice of cooperative network access purchasing become more common,
it would make sense for cooperatives to go for symmetric links. This
is a matter of service agreement, though. I'm just saying that there
might be an organic move in that direction.

take care,
imw