[Freedombox-discuss] tahoe-lafs now in debian

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Jun 19 12:31:40 UTC 2011

On 11-06-18 at 06:30pm, Luka Marčetić wrote:
> On 06/17/2011 09:27 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> >>OT: Dirty hacks are dirty. We need desktop Debian (sid, not
> >>testing).
> >Uhm, what do you mean by that?
> >
> >Tahoe-lafs being dirty?  My backporting effort being dirty?
> >FreedomBox being dirty and desktops not so?!?
> Back-porting being dirty, yes.

Thanks for clarifying.

> There should be no need. Are you suggesting Freedombox will be using
> backports?

No.  The backport is offered as an aid for potential FreedomBox
developers interested in unofficially(!) experiement with Tahoe-LAFS on
an otherwise stable system.

The debian.jones.dk repository is deliberately *not* signed to emphasize
that using backports is dirty and risky.

(as a related note, I consider backports.debian.org as dirty too, and
find it problematic that Debian has no easy mechanism to flag if an
install is dirty - independent on whether _delivery_ of it is safe).

In my opinion FreedomBox should be a Debian Pure Blend, which implies
that it uses only Debian, is only configured by Debian, and is
distributed by Debian.

I disagree with your possible suggestion that FreedomBox as shipped to
our end-users should use Debian unstable.  I feel that only a FreedomBox
installed from Debian stable (and *only Debian stable, no addons of any
kind) should be considered a stable FreedomBox installation.

Yes, that means I expect FreedomBox to take years to mature.  Until then
we can make various experimental, unstable and testing installs - and
dirty unofficial mixtures like installs "infected" with material from
the debian.jones.dk repository.