[Freedombox-discuss] Erlang

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 20:21:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Matthew Evans
<mattevans123 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I've recently been following the Freedom box project, congratulations and
> good luck. It seems like a fantastic idea.
>
> I've been spending the past few years coding and designing systems written
> in the Erlang programming language. From what I can see with your
> requirements Erlang would be a great fit.
>
> The language has distribution "built in". Once two or more machines are
> joined in a mesh you can spawn processes on remote VM's and send requests to
> those processes (send messages to) as if they were local. It makes writing
> applications on a distributed cluster of servers very simple, other than
> network delay there is no difference between working on a distributed
> (remote) machine than a local machine.
>
> I could, for example, imagine a chat server deployed by a person in a
> restrictive country. From the perspective of the chat server owner their
> service is running locally on their own Freedom box, however in actual fact
> it would be running on a Freedom box in another country.
>
> There are a number of distributed projects written in Erlang (used by
> Facebook and others). An interesting open source project I recently
> discovered is cloudi (http://cloudi.org).
>
> Good luck
>
> Matt

Matt, I think Erlang is a great fit for certain applications in
Freedombox. Distributing Erlang across the internet would likely take
direct collaboration between the administrators of each node machine.
However, that doesn't preclude applications being written that can
automate this and make it easier.

Also, check out webmachine and mochiweb

https://bitbucket.org/justin/webmachine/wiki/Home

http://code.google.com/p/mochiweb/

for creating http web applications and services (which may also be distributed).

Sam Rose
Hollymead Capital Partners, LLC
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com