[Freedombox-discuss] Erlang

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jun 21 16:18:11 UTC 2011

On 11-06-21 at 05:13pm, Timur Mehrvarz wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 03:03 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > >
> > > Is this really true?
> >
> > It is indeed my truth, yes.
> >

> > > GPL, sure. But officially part of Debian sounds a bit like an
> > > obstacle.
> >
> > If license comply with Debian Free Software Guidelines (which GPL
> > does) then no obstacle, just a step in the process.
>
> I think what you were saying is that only software can be considered
> for inclusion, that is officially part of Debian ... by the time
> FreedomBox will be released (and not as of today, which is how I read
> it). Some needed software may not even exist yet. And some other parts
> may live outside of Debian, currently, but could be brought in.

You can drink milk from a cow, or from a bowl at a dairy farm, or from a
bottle at a supermarket, or from a cup at home.  You can argue that it
is an obstacle to put milk in bottles and that we can all instead pur in
into our cups directly from dairy farm bowls.

I find it quite sensible, not an obstacle, to distribute software pieces
by, well, a software distributor.

Yes, it is problematic for your cheese convention tomorrow that the
cheese (from recipe you wrote yesterday!) takes time to produce and
mature.

But solution is not to pour milk directly from cow tits into cheese
molding jars (or whatever is used), neither is it to cancel your
convention.  Solution is to use cheese produced last year for this
convention, and use your new recipe for the convention next year.

-

FreedomBox with "blogging at the silverlining of the cloud" is realistic
to expect soon - at stability-level "stable" or "testing" (depending on
choice of blogging engine, user interface etc.).

FreedomBox with "mesh networking at the silverlining of the cloud" is
further out in the future - even at stability-level "unstable" due to
parts missing even in Debian unstable.

If you want FreedomBox tomorrow, then work on pieces for it today.
Skipping (or being creative about) distributability (of some pieces) do
not speed up produce of FreedomBox, but blurs its actual
stability-level.

If you crucially need a certain feature in FreedomBox soon, then work
*today* on getting that feature into Debian, so that integration of the
feature with a Debian system can be tested and become reliable, in
parallel with user interface supporting such feature maturing, and
refinement of boxing such tool onto screen-less hardware matures, etc.

Regards,