[Freedombox-discuss] Erlang

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jun 21 18:35:38 UTC 2011

On 11-06-21 at 02:16pm, William Gardella wrote:
> Matthew Evans <mattevans123 at hotmail.com>
> writes:
>
> > Hi List,
>
> Hi Matthew!
>
> [snip]
> >
> > I could, for example, imagine a chat server deployed by a person in
> > a restrictive country. From the perspective of the chat server owner
> > their service is running locally on their own Freedom box, however
> > in actual fact it would be running on a Freedom box in another
> > country.
>
> Off the top of my head, ejabberd is a prominent, distributed
> Erlang-based chat server project, and already in debian-stable.  It
> could probably be used, e.g., to allow users on a wireless mesh
> network in the censored country to reach a node of the jabber server,
> which would then be connected to other nodes abroad via a VPN...

I know about ejabberd.  I use it on several servers.

I am unaware, however, how ejabberd can be (internally Erlang-like, not
using standard XMPP protocol) distributed across multiple FreedomBoxes.

Information on how to do that would be quite interesting.  For me,
perhaps others here as well, and most likely also for the Debian
maintainer of ejabberd!