[Freedombox-discuss] Erlang

William Gardella gardellawg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 18:48:39 UTC 2011

Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> writes:

> On 11-06-21 at 02:16pm, William Gardella wrote:
>> Matthew Evans <mattevans123 at hotmail.com>
>> writes:
>>
>> > Hi List,
>>
>> Hi Matthew!
>>
>> [snip]
>> >
>> > I could, for example, imagine a chat server deployed by a person in
>> > a restrictive country. From the perspective of the chat server owner
>> > their service is running locally on their own Freedom box, however
>> > in actual fact it would be running on a Freedom box in another
>> > country.
>>
>> Off the top of my head, ejabberd is a prominent, distributed
>> Erlang-based chat server project, and already in debian-stable.  It
>> could probably be used, e.g., to allow users on a wireless mesh
>> network in the censored country to reach a node of the jabber server,
>> which would then be connected to other nodes abroad via a VPN...
>
> I know about ejabberd.  I use it on several servers.
>
> I am unaware, however, how ejabberd can be (internally Erlang-like, not
> using standard XMPP protocol) distributed across multiple FreedomBoxes.
>
> Information on how to do that would be quite interesting.  For me,
> perhaps others here as well, and most likely also for the Debian
> maintainer of ejabberd!
>

>  - Jonas

Jonas, Matthew, et al.,

I was able to find this interesting article about clustering in an
"erlangy" way, using synchronized Erlang mnesia databases.

http://tdewolf.blogspot.com/2009/07/clustering-ejabberd-nodes-using-mnesia.html

Does this look like something that could be boiled down into a nice
little script, provided the admin of node #1 made the ejabberd cookie
file and mnesia database available to other FBs?

WGG