[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox 'bump/hi-five' challenge

ian at churchkey.org ian at churchkey.org
Fri Jun 24 21:43:17 UTC 2011

On 06/24/2011 05:25 PM, Erik Harmon wrote:
> Color coding keys is good, but even the presence of a particular public
> key on one's keyring could be incriminating or suspicious. Even if the
> same person wants to do secret and casual communication, it's probably a
> good idea to more strongly segregate those identities.

If having a certain keyID on your phone is too dangerous, than this
phone app is probably not the right way to exchange information.
However, nothing says that you have to have the actual key on your phone
to have a keyid stored as one of your identities.

People could even intentionally carry the key fingerprints of
politically unpopular activists in their phone app's list of identities
so that the actual activist is not the only one with that identity on
his/her phone. Depending on the circumstances, that would fall somewhere
between running a Tor exit node and standing up to yell "I am Spartacus".

-Ian