[Freedombox-discuss] Lessons from a FreedomBox alternative - Tonido

John Walsh fiftyfour at waldevin.com
Mon Jun 27 04:38:07 UTC 2011

Hi Sebastien,

This is my first reply to a mailing-list, so please forgive me if this goes
wrong.

> Hello everybody,
>
> On 26/06/11 11:23, Bob Mottram wrote:
> > On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:29:33 +1000, John Walsh wrote:
> >> My hope is that the FreedomBox designers take the time to
> get right
> >> port-forwarding of a multi-user (for home users) "safe social
> >> networking .... with privacy-respecting federated
> services".because
> >> their are plenty of plugcomputers out there with ugly
> interfaces. I
> >> will stick with Tonido's ugly consumer solution until
> FreedomBox gets
> >> it right - please take the time to get it right.
> >

> > Indeed I'm also using a plug computer running Debian, and
> it's used by
> > more than just myself.  It would be good for the Freedombox
> project to
> > assume a typical use case were the system will have a few
> users, who
> > will probably be a small number of family or friends.
>
> Based on the last talks given by Eben Moglen (mostly PDF 2011
> [0]), i'm confused as to where the FreedomBox sits in a home
> network: would it be a plugcomputer behind my ISP router's
> firewall (meaning port forwarding) but with a special status
> on the home network (e.g. i route some or all requests
> through it), or would it be a router replacing my all-in-one
> router-wireless AP-DSL modem? (see PDF talk around 10'10'')
> In which case port-forwarding isn't a UI problem anymore
> (though other problems
> appear)

Thank you for the link - I watched the video. I was delighted to hear that
the FreedomBox will act as a "smart router".

Still, I think the FreedomBox would have to work behind and in front of a
router (both use cases). My parents have a modem+router+wi-fi combo box
because they have the piece of *consumer* mind that everything will work
together. The most basic device in the shops here is an modem+router combo -
you cannot buy a modem on its own anymore here. You are effectively forced
to put your FreedomBox behind a router here :(