[Freedombox-discuss] Can we save power too?

Marc Manthey marc at let.de
Mon Jun 27 17:24:46 UTC 2011

On Jun 27, 2011, at 7:19 PM, Rob van der Hoeven wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 22:09 +0800, Sandy Harris wrote:
>> Slashdot story points to an item on set--top boxes burning
>> huge amounts of power:
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/us/26cable.html?_r=4
>>
>> They mention 400-odd KWh a year At 5 watts times 24
>> times 365, a plug computer comes out an order of
>> magnitude better.
>>
>> This clearly is not the focus for the box, but it seemed
>> worth tossing into the discussions.
>
> I think it is very important to keep the power consumption low. In The
> Netherlands where i live a KWh costs about 0.25 euro. A 5 watt device
> running 24/7*365 uses 44 KWh a year (NOT 400 KWh) witch costs about 11
> euros. The cost of running a device 24/7*365 is roughly wattage * 2. A
> normal PC consumes about 70 watts and costs 140 euro to run for a
> year!

I think this is selfexplaining and was part of eben moglens speech

  “cheap, small, low-power plug servers,” Mr. Moglen said

http://agreatbecoming.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/the-freedom-box/

greetings

--  Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231