[Freedombox-discuss] "Client-side" FreedomBox?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jun 28 10:41:57 UTC 2011

Hi Fellow,

On 11-06-28 at 02:26am, Fellow Traveler wrote:
> I have recently authored a digital cash system, and I would like as
> much as possible to secure the wallet on the client side, so that
> hackers cannot steal it.
>
> Some Bitcoin aficionados are known to put their bitcoin wallet onto a
> USB stick... I want to go better than that with my own project. If
> possible I would put the CPU unit and ram on that USB stick as well. I
> would have the digital cash client run isolated inside there, with
> only specific messages being passed back and forth (so the user can
> authorize transactions, etc.)
>
> Anyway, this whole concept reminded me of the FreedomBox project,
> which is why I am emailing you about this now.
>
> ===> I think the FreedomBox project should plan for a "Server version"
> as well as a "Handheld version".  I need something safe to store my
> wallet on, and portable, where I can encapsulate my transaction
> signing.
>
> Maybe that "something safe" is just an open-source handheld that
> provides voice on the mesh, plus has a crypto-card built into it. I
> don't know. Have you guys put any thought into this?

Sounds like a cool project!

My thoughts on this is that FreedomBox _is_ the "Server version" and
that Debian is a great platform for multiple interrelated subprojects,
e.g. multiple ones focusing on freedom-enabling technologies for
non-technical users but targeted different types of usage patterns tied
to different kind of hardware.

So my recommendation is to stay subscribed here, and encourage others
engaging with your project, and reuse as much as sensible - but not
expect them to merge directly.

Regards,