[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox threat model

Mike Warren spam at mike-warren.com
Thu Jun 30 17:27:17 UTC 2011

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> writes:

>  * you're not on an IPv4 network (tor only supports IPv4 at the moment,
> iiuc)
>  * your protocol uses UDP or something else other than TCP (tor only
> does TCP at the moment, iiuc)

Both true currently (there is a special-case for DNS traffic, which is
resolved at the exit node).

I think one of the "gold nuggets" of information is the social graph
itself: who you know and how much you communicate with these people,
which is quite valuable even if the contents are encrypted. So, it
would seem to make sense to me to use Tor for the "peer to peer"
portions of the freedombox. That is, pushing updates to your friends
should by default be routed via Tor.

"Normal" activities could/should be optional for the user as to how
they're routed (and some things, like BitTorrent, should never be
routed on Tor).

Cheers,

--
mike warren