[Freedombox-discuss] Which languages should software be developed in?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Mar 1 03:03:34 UTC 2011

On 02/28/2011 09:57 PM, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> I'm about to begin work again on a privacy program that I believe will
> fit within the Freedom Box goals. Originally, I was going to develop it
> as a desktop application in Python but, as someone pointed out
> yesterday, Python isn't the right choice for embedded development, so I
> want to base it on a language that could be used in the project.

I think python is a fine choice.  the machines people are currently
talking about targeting have enough RAM to deal with python, and they're
becoming cheaper and more-powerful (and less-energy-intensive) all the time.

If you're comfortable in python, make it in python.  If it becomes too
slow or too resource-hungry to run on a machine with 512MiB of RAM, get
help profiling it and optimize the hotspots.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil.

	--dkg