[Freedombox-discuss] Which languages should software be developed in?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Mar 1 03:14:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 08:57:37PM -0600, Anthony Papillion wrote:
>I'm about to begin work again on a privacy program that I believe will
>fit within the Freedom Box goals. Originally, I was going to develop it
>as a desktop application in Python but, as someone pointed out
>yesterday, Python isn't the right choice for embedded development, so I
>want to base it on a language that could be used in the project.
>
>Obviously, C is probably acceptable. But are there any other languages
>that would fit well within the Freedom Box architecture?

Python is sensible to use on a Plug device, I believe.

Perhaps those discouraging it are people intending to use something else
than the devices proposed in the talks by Eben Moglen, spawning this
very project?

That said, you are right that lightweight is good.  But reinventing
wheels might cause poorer code or slower progress than using
well-established modules, plugins, libraries etc. in existing languages.

It very much depend on what kind of thingy it is you consider coding.

(not that I am asking you to elaborate on your particular project: don't
expect me to comment on it here, as I consider this project to be about
building on existing and already packaged code, not inventing new stuff)

Good luck with whatever it is you are working on :-)