[Freedombox-discuss] Other FreedomBox projects

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 05:19:22 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just so we are aware of other projects that happen to have the same name...
>
> http://FreedomBox.net >>Freedom is a complete (SMB) service solution
> that effectively replaces your IT infrastructure with enterprise
> system performance added with managed resources and Disaster Recovery
> capabilities all for one low monthly cost.
>
> http://FreedomBox.tv >>The Freedom Box Project aims to promote wide
> dissemination and standardization of TV Media Centers connected to the
> web that are easy to use and economic for anyone; and by anyone
> verifiable and customizable
>

> Add any others you find

DOMAIN: Computing, Software, Accessibility
WEBSITES: http://www.serotek.com/, http://www.freedombox.info/ (latter
is now owned by Freedom Scientific Inc, the folks who make the JAWS
screenreader)
NAMES: "FreedomBox", "FreedomBox Network"
"A software suite designed to increase accessibility for visually
impaired and other computer users has been released for the U3
platform, which allows programs to be run on most Windows PCs directly
from a USB flash drive.

Serotek's FreedomBox, which includes web browsing, email, streaming
media and instant messaging applications, is bundled along with the
company's System Access software in the package. The company says this
will allow users to implement a text-to-speech and speech-to-text
command interface for Windows and applications including Word, Firefox
and Skype by plugging in a USB drive.

Members of the FreedomBox Network, which costs $129 (£69) a year, can
download the full package from Serotek's website.

"I can walk up to a computer and access the device manager and control
panel and repair a computer with System Access loaded," said Stephen
Nutt, who is the founder of UK distributor Computer Room Services and
who, like several Serotek developers, is blind. "It's like having your
screen in your pocket," he added."

-------

Also various other minor uses, including:
  - Henry's Freedom Box - A Caldecott children's book about a slave
mailing himself to freedom.
  - Harley-Davidson Freedom Box - A marketing amusement