[Freedombox-discuss] Which languages should software be developed in?

Matt Willsher matt at monki.org.uk
Tue Mar 1 11:49:38 UTC 2011

On 1 March 2011 08:05, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 07:19:55PM -0800, Matt Joyce wrote:
>> I disagree completely.  Python's app stack is far too big and has
>> compilation problems on many toolchains.  You would be increasing build
>> complexity and size.  Which is a concern on multiple embedded targets.
>
> Speaking about embedded targets, what's the idea about Android
> smartphones? Dalvik, native applications, preferably? Some
> ssh and apt-get would be sure nice.

The target for the Freedom Box is a plug device. These have
800Mhz/1.2Ghz ARM processors and 512MB of RAM and at least 512MB
storage. While I'm sure freedom could be achieved with an embedded
device and for some use cases would be a preferable platform that
isn't one the stated goals of this project.