[Freedombox-discuss] Which languages should software be developed in?

Matt Willsher matt at monki.org.uk
Tue Mar 1 11:54:14 UTC 2011

On 1 March 2011 02:57, Anthony Papillion <papillion at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm about to begin work again on a privacy program that I believe will
> fit within the Freedom Box goals. Originally, I was going to develop it
> as a desktop application in Python but, as someone pointed out
> yesterday, Python isn't the right choice for embedded development, so I
> want to base it on a language that could be used in the project.
>
> Obviously, C is probably acceptable. But are there any other languages
> that would fit well within the Freedom Box architecture?

I personally prefer Perl to other choices - it has a good, varied
module library, hooks in well with many parts of an OS and understood
by system admins for what ever that's worth. While I think Python is
fine for applications, the back end on this project is an actual
operating system. Perl, IMHO, better fits that model. (And mojolicious
looks like a delight for the web app side of things)