[Freedombox-discuss] Debian FreedomBox = Existing Debian packages on plug hardware

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Mar 1 12:53:33 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 01:16:41PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 11:49:38AM +0000, Matt Willsher wrote:
>> On 1 March 2011 08:05, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>> > Speaking about embedded targets, what's the idea about Android
>> > smartphones? Dalvik, native applications, preferably? Some ssh and
>> > apt-get would be sure nice.
>>
>> The target for the Freedom Box is a plug device. These have
>> 800Mhz/1.2Ghz ARM processors and 512MB of RAM and at least 512MB
>
>Yes, you're describing a low-end Android phone here.

No, plug devices are not phones.

>> storage. While I'm sure freedom could be achieved with an embedded
>> device and for some use cases would be a preferable platform that
>> isn't one the stated goals of this project.
>
>The only problem I see is Android specifics, which won't play nice with
>the Debian toolchain.

If I am not mistaken, the topic of this mailinglist is the _Debian_
FreedomBox project.  Not the Google FreedomBox project or whatever else.

Hardware is Plug devices and software is existing packaged Debian!

I encourage anyone to work on whatever hardware and software that fancy
their interest - but please treat such as separate from this project.

I do not mean to say that you cannot call your project "Freedom Box"
(but possibly Eben has an opinion on your using that term he coined),
just that I strongly fear that discussing all sorts of freedom-related
projects together here on a single mailinglist does more harm than good.