[Freedombox-discuss] Seeking Community Relations Facilitator

James Vasile james at hackervisions.org
Tue Mar 1 14:45:09 UTC 2011

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:53:04 +0000, Hector Oron <hector.oron at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 2011/2/28 info at freedomboxfoundation.org <info at freedomboxfoundation.org>:
>
> > The FreedomBox Foundation is taking steps to put this project firmly
> > on its feet.  Step One is fostering the community conversation that
> > will steer this project to success.
>
> Thanks!
>
> > Toward that end, we're hiring a
> > community relations facilitator.  Please make sure this ad reaches the
> > right people.
>
> Can the community be involved in that election?
> Is the election process transparent enough so interested parties can
> follow?

Hector,

There is a huge role for the community in this project, and that role is
going to grow.  At this stage, Eben has a vision, and he is marshalling
resources to achieve it.  That vision involves a lot of community
conversation and guidance.  Maybe that conversation leads to elected
positions (personally, I would like that).

Right now we're just trying to put a team together that can lead the
discussion on technical and administrative decisions.  Once that team is
in place, we're going to hand the reigns to them and let them conduct
project governance as they see fit.  We're not going to dictate the
governance model, although we will choose people who agree with our
vision of this being a community project.

Best regards,
James