[Freedombox-discuss] How to deal with uptime and connectivity issues

Michael Blizek michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com
Tue Mar 1 18:13:44 UTC 2011

Hi!

On 04:52 Tue 01 Mar     , Felipe Sanches wrote:
> SaaS users usually benefit from high availability provided by professional
> datacenters. Data is often stored redundantly.

In if the datacenter operator looses motivation to host you, you will spend
days to find and set up an alternative. That is, if you have made your own
backup, because backups in the datacenter will be unaccessable...

You might get 99,999% availability for 10 years, but you you will then go down
for 10 days, your average availability is only 99,7%.

> How will we deal with those issues in the scenario of a single plug per user
> tied to a power outlet? Are we expecting people to have multiple
> freedomboxes kept in sync? I foresee people unplugging someone else's boxes
> in order to use the power outlet.

I do not think we should worry too much about these issues.

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com