[Freedombox-discuss] my summary of yesterday's Hackfest

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Mar 1 18:42:33 UTC 2011

On 03/01/2011 01:34 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Without plauing with it yet myself, I blindly assumed Monkeysphere was
> usable for exactly this: use GPG web of trust to assure certificates.

yes, this is exactly the use case (though i'd call it the OpenPGP web of
trust, if you want terminology nit-picking)

> more specifically: TLS allows for RESTful secure identity handling -
> which helps save bandwidth as is is friendly to proxies and other caching.

note: TLS can be done without X.509.  the two are separable:

 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6091

(whether RFC 6091 is the way to go, or whether we should take the
X.509-cert-as-dummy-public-key-carrier approach is a separate question)

Regards,

	--dkg