[Freedombox-discuss] my summary of yesterday's Hackfest

Matt Willsher matt at monki.org.uk
Wed Mar 2 08:10:57 UTC 2011

On 1 March 2011 22:33, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 08:04:02PM +0000, Matt Willsher wrote:
>

> Let's not waste efforts running behind gmail, but leave it be and
> concentrate on what it is we have to sell: freedoms!

I see your point and I don't dispute it's validity. In most ways it's an
easy goal for us then a bridge device.
I particularly like your example there regarding WebIDs and FOAF. Is it a
viable business model? That will sell enough units to build a momentum? I'm
not even going to concern myself with that one. Ultimately I'm more
interested in the under laying infrastructure than the applications that sit
on top of it.

>  Actually, of your examples mentioned above, the Debian packaging of sudo
>>> now (since Squeeze) offers a config.d mechanism that other packages can hook
>>> into, and packaging of apache has for some time offered a (better!)
>>> combination of config.d and symlink-enable-disable script.
>>>

>> But something still needs to managed though linked files.
>
> What? Why?  Try provide an example.

I have 5 users in my household. I have 1 admin, 2 power users and 3 users.
Those groups each have different privileges mapped out in sudo. The power
users are allowed to restart apache and kick off backup. The admin can
become ultimate root. All valid users can map to one central user to manage
a bittorrent server.

Debian mindset is to provide a fully working system consumable by "users"
> (both derivatives, sysadmins and end-users), not just a pile of fully
> working _pieces_ for sysadmins to tie together.

The mind set to me as an outsider has always seem to be to provide a basic
set of choices to get a basic system up and running. After than it up the
the admin to get on with the tuning and customisation.  I really don't want
Debian making decisions for me.

 At this point I think I can safely say that we'll have to agree to disagree
on the principles of configuration management, but I would be interested in
reading more about the Debian projects agreed plans for configuration
management.

Regards,
Matt