[Freedombox-discuss] my summary of yesterday's Hackfest

Matt Willsher matt at monki.org.uk
Wed Mar 2 12:39:54 UTC 2011

On 2 March 2011 12:17, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Please beware that you mess up the quoting slightly - often first line of a
> quote has too few indentation markers, making it

display as if you are quoting someone else!

Sorry, it's getting tricky to follow. It's been a while since I've replied
to mailings in this form.

(and please don't blame it on your mail application: ultimately you are in
> charge and can use a different one if it serves you badly!)

Oh, I appreciate that. Mistakes are easy to make. And please don't assume
what I'll blame!

> On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 11:40:27AM +0000, Matt Willsher wrote:
>
>> On 2 March 2011 11:01, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>>>  I have 5 users in my household. I have 1 admin, 2 power users and 3
>>>>

>>> Ok, so in your household you are sysadmin.
>>>

>> I am but how could this case possibly be configured by the Debian sudo
>> package? Or what if the roles of the people in the household change? Or what
>> if more people are needed or a new role?
>>

> Ahem - you cut off the part where I tried explain that. :-P
>
> Please try reply again to my former post, and comment also on that section
> right below above quote.

I don't think it did explain it. You mentioned a case of an 8 headed
machines but that isn't relevant here. When I'm after is a particular
outline of how the case I gave could be done using the debian package
system. Explicitly, how would the sudo package handle the pretty standard
case I outline?

> But you know what? It will stay that way, if you users of Debian do not
> expect more, and file bugreports about the flexibility you'd want Debian to
> provide.
>
> So in a sense your very attitude is to blame for Debian being as it is!

I don't disagree with that at all, or much of what else you wrote. I will
educate myself some more on Debian, but I still don't believe that package
system should do all the system configuration.