[Freedombox-discuss] Confused about this project

Matt Willsher matt at monki.org.uk
Fri Mar 4 21:51:07 UTC 2011

On 4 March 2011 21:40, Anthony Papillion <papillion at gmail.com> wrote:

OK so I'm officially confused and need some clarification from the group.

> When I joined the list about a week and a half ago, I thought that the
> goal of the project was to create a Freedom Box based on a pluggable
> computer like the SheevaPlug or PogoPlug. From what I read, the hardware
> platform had pretty much been decided and all that was left was to
> create a software stack.
>
> Now, I'm seeing discussion about using mobile phones, routers, etc and
> I'm confused. Are we seriously going to ask people who might not be
> techies to flash their mobile phones and routers?  Isn't the goal of the
> project to make this as accessible as possible?
>
> Is hardware still totally up in the air?

I don't believe it has changed. Most people actually doing work rather than
just banding about ideas are working towards the ARMv5 sort of platform. See
the Sunday sessions for what is going on there.   There is a lot of talk of
all sorts of fanciful things on this list. What matters is what is actually
being delivered and what is being deliver at the moment is on the plug type
devices.

(I don't speak on behalf of the foundation in any way - this is my own take
on it)