[Freedombox-discuss] Confused about this project

Les Orchard l.m.orchard at pobox.com
Fri Mar 4 21:54:37 UTC 2011

On 3/4/11 4:40 PM, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> OK so I'm officially confused and need some clarification from the group.
>
> When I joined the list about a week and a half ago, I thought that the
> goal of the project was to create a Freedom Box based on a pluggable
> computer like the SheevaPlug or PogoPlug. From what I read, the hardware
> platform had pretty much been decided and all that was left was to
> create a software stack.
I've been confused about the same thing. As far as I understand, this is
a Debian mailing list for a distro targeted at plug computers, with the
aims of decentrallizing social network services and facilitating network
privacy.

There are even wiki pages:

http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox
http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware
> Now, I'm seeing discussion about using mobile phones, routers, etc and
> I'm confused. Are we seriously going to ask people who might not be
> techies to flash their mobile phones and routers?  Isn't the goal of the
> project to make this as accessible as possible?
>
> Is hardware still totally up in the air?
Ultimately, I think it comes down to whomever actually starts putting a
distro together, but I think a lot of this is just talk. I think the
FreedomBox foundation itself is still rallying technical leadership, so
we'll see what happens then

l.m.orchard at pobox.com
http://decafbad.com
{web,mad,computer} scientist