[Freedombox-discuss] Confused about this project

Les Orchard l.m.orchard at pobox.com
Fri Mar 4 22:10:48 UTC 2011

On 3/4/11 4:53 PM, Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson wrote:
> People can discuss anything they like on this list, no one is going to
> tell people to go away just because the stray a bit off topic.
I'm not for stifling conversation, per se - but in the interest of
focusing this list and the project, I'd suggest there are other lists
for other projects and for the general topic of distributed internet, eg:

http://groups.google.com/group/building-a-distributed-decentralized-internet

Many of us here are lurking there, too.

+1 (eg. http://www.servalproject.org/)
> We're almost certainly talking about a software stack on top of Linux,
> which Eben hopes some enterprising businessmen will then pre-install
> on plug computers and sell in shops for $29. :-)
>
> Odds are whatever the FreedomBox software stack ends up being, it will
> probably run on all sorts of other hardware too. Some platforms will
> be better than others, obviously.
Eben did give a speech and talked about making a FreedomBox; he did talk
about plug computers; funds are being raised for this thing on
Kickstarter; and this list is hosted on a debian.org domain where there
are also wiki pages with specifics (ie. http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox)

That's not to say that Debian on a plug computer is the only way to
achieve the goals, but I am saying that this list is about the specific
project that aims to do it that way.

l.m.orchard at pobox.com
http://decafbad.com
{web,mad,computer} scientist