[Freedombox-discuss] Confused about this project

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Mar 4 22:11:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 01:46:08PM -0800, Tracy Reed wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 03:40:24PM -0600, Anthony Papillion spake thusly:
>> Are we seriously going to ask people who might not be techies to
>> flash their mobile phones and routers?  Isn't the goal of the project
>> to make this as accessible as possible?
>
>I'm hoping that they will just install an app on their Android or iPhone.
>People have proven they know how to do that.
>
>> Is hardware still totally up in the air?
>
>Apparently.

Dear Tracy,

I wish you the very best with your project on developing
Freedom-enabling technologies on mobile devices.  I seriously do.

But just as seriously I beg you not to distort conversations on this
mailinglist:

No, there is no need to reflash very compact devices, because very
compact devices need not be considered for this project.  There are
quite sensible devices out there called "Plug" devices which need no
complex flashing:

   * Deals can be made with Plug manufacturers to ship with FreedomBox
     preinstalled: Just turn it on!

   * Deals can be made with SDcard manufacturers to ship with FreedomBox
     preinstalled - just slide it into a Plug device and turn on!

   * Companies (non-profit or not) can be formed which buy Plug devices
     and/or SDcards and do above as Value-added Resellers.

Because no, hardware is only "totally up in the air" if you want it to
be: Some of (including Eben Moglen, I believe) will use Plug devices.