[Freedombox-discuss] Confused about this project

Thomas Lord lord at emf.net
Sat Mar 5 20:22:46 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 19:41 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 02:07:28PM -0800, Thomas Lord wrote:
>
> > I look at the value of the cell phone and similar talk
> > this way:  Even supposing I personally narrowly focus
> > on "plug" my work will be more valuable if I define it
> > in terms of protocols and data formats and use cases
> > that help that plug work well with those mobile devices.
>
> Mobile phones do not have to be mobile. And unlike plug
> computers, they work well off USB chargers plugged into
> 12 V infrastructure.

My point is only that I don't need to care about the underlying
hardware or even much of the low level OS.   (Other people
do!  I'm grateful for experts who do things like trying to
bring up a kernel on this or that, or port a program to
this or that!)   I'm trying to say don't worry about this debate
as its currently framed.

Instead: my view is that if we keep the upper parts of
the stack - the user-facing code - simple and robust, then
it can run and port easily to anything that can handle
a few simple protocols and data types and a pretty undemanding
programming environment.

I'm looking at the design "top down" rather than bottom up.
If starting a few days ago I want to write an "app" for
the freedombox ... or a few cornerstone apps ... I don't
have to worry so much about what the bottom of the stack
looks like, other than to not assume much about it.

-t