[Freedombox-discuss] towards a business plan

Thomas Lord lord at emf.net
Sun Mar 6 18:00:31 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 12:46 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 07:15:18PM -0800, Thomas Lord wrote:
> >Step 1:
> >
> >Let's pick 5 apps.   I suggest email mailbox hosting, chat,
> >instant messaging, blogging and FB-ish "walls".
>
> What is the difference between "chat" and "instant messaging"?

I had in mind simply the difference (user perspective)
between joining a "chat room" which provides a lossy
many to many conversation --- and sending ostensibly
less lossy point to point messages.

The distinction isn't all that important.   The discussion
between you and Yannick has been more interesting :-)

>  [....]

> And I suggest to aim even lower that for first iterations.  Not because
> any of them are weak as selling points, but because not all of them
> really exist yet (or are prepackaged in Debian, if that matters yo you).

Things may very well have to be simpler.  I'm not
prepared to unilaterally say, though, that everything
has to already be prepackaged in Debian.   I'm not
averse to using other sources of code or even building
a few parts so long as it is cheap, easy, and fast to
do so.

> Other than that, I like your plan.  Heck, I hope all of us here do:
> Seems to me that you avoid the tricky part of actually making any
> decisions yet (but that off course might be deliberate - you may want a
> democratic decision process).
>
> I'll cross my fingers that your approach win lots of followers!

Thanks.  We'll see, as it develops.

-t