[Freedombox-discuss] WebID

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Mar 6 18:27:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 07:51:07PM +0100, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>On 1 March 2011 19:34, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 07:04:53PM +0100, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

>>> If an attacker does gain these two points of control, and they knew
>>> what they were doing, you could have an issue yes.
>>>
>>> We need to scope out a revocation model, but I dont think it's that
>>> hard.  May already be something existing, I'll have a check.
>>
>> Without plauing with it yet myself, I blindly assumed Monkeysphere
>> was usable for exactly this: use GPG web of trust to assure
>> certificates.

>>> Because X.509 is quite webby, and the web is the dominant ecosystem
>>> on the internet.
>>
>> more specifically: TLS allows for RESTful secure identity handling -
>> which helps save bandwidth as is is friendly to proxies and other
>> caching.
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebID
>
>Yes, exactly.
>
>There's a group that has now moved this a step closer to
>standardization with the a W3C Web Consortium Incubator Group.
>
>http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/charter
>
>I know revocation has been raised as a topic.  I normally listen in on
>the telecons, so I can report back on this topic, and any others people
>with to raise.

Awesome!

On a related note, I now (after fighting intensely with it for 3 days,
producing the needed 27 Debian packages) I have now packaged
libcgi-auth-foaf-ssl-perl which is a Perl implementation of WebID.

The work is now pending approval into Debian, and is also available
using the following APT line:

  deb http://debian.jones.dk/ sid freedombox

I would appreciate any and all comments on these packages (and also do
tell me if you are interested in the field of RDF using Perl and need
other libraries packaged!).