[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox-discuss Digest, Vol 8, Issue 37

Joshua Spodek joshuaspodek at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 15:37:00 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 11:33 +0000,
freedombox-discuss-request at lists.alioth.debian.org wrote:
> Step 1:
>
> Let's pick 5 apps.   I suggest email mailbox hosting, chat,
> instant messaging, blogging and FB-ish "walls".
>
> When I tell the relatives "Here, plug this in and fire up
> your browser" -- and when they then ask "Uh, what's it do?" --
> this is the list of 5 answers: email mailbox, chat, messaging,
> etc.

For this group, I propose a step 0, which is to pick the minimum amount
of applications or packages necessary for the plug to be useful to a
debian developer or packager without restricting any necessary
applications or packages to come later.

"Minimum" could mean minimum number of packages or minimum amount of
time or work. Others can later remove unnecessary ones if they are dead
weight.

This threshold -- being useful to this community -- is lower than making
it useful for mainstream users and it will have the side effect that
your step 1 will happen on its own.

- Josh