[Freedombox-discuss] AGPL code for the FreedomBox?

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 17:10:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Les Orchard <l.m.orchard at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed Mar  9 11:39:22 2011, Robinson Tryon wrote:
>
>> As I understand it, the AGPL requires the distribution of source code
>> to public-facing AGPLed network services running on a machine. If I
>> take this prototype FreedomBox front-end and run it on my plug server,
>> I'll have to provide the source on that machine (or a link elsewhere).
>> I'm curious what will happen when the links hard-coded into 100,000
>> FreedomBoxes (or someone else's copycat project) go stale.
>
> FWIW, as I understand it, this only kicks in if you're running a modified
> version of the software. Then, you have to provide your modified source in
> some form, somewhere. Say, on github. If you haven't modified it, then a
> standard link back to the main project pages should be fine.

How long do we believe github urls will be valid? 2 years? 5 years?

Here's a bit from their TOS:

---
http://help.github.com/terms/

G. General Conditions

   1. Your use of the Service is at your sole risk. The service is
provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis.
   6. We may, but have no obligation to, remove Content and Accounts
containing Content that we determine in our sole discretion are
unlawful, offensive, threatening, libelous, defamatory, pornographic,
obscene or otherwise objectionable or violates any party’s
intellectual property or these Terms of Service.
---

AFAIK Github has no allegiance to the FreedomBox project. I think we
should definitely consider permanent urls that don't run the risk of
being capriciously null-routed when someone at Github corporate finds
our project "objectionable".

--R