[Freedombox-discuss] FOAF developers taking FreedomBox into their equation

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Mar 9 22:35:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 09:09:25PM +0100, Henry Story wrote:
>I am working on http://clerezza.org/ an Apache project and would love
>to see if it can run on the same hardware... (sorry it's not GNU)

It looks like being Maven- (and therefore Jave-)based, right?

Personally I do not believe in Java being sensible for Plug devices.  As
always, others might have different opinions, but don't put your hopes
too high: One of the challenges in embedded hardware like the Plug
devices is its limited memory.  Even if Maven might fit within the specs
of the device, in my (little) experience with Java then a majority of
the memory is tied up for Java use only, and it is highly unlikely for a
full range of libraries, daemons and helper tools to be all implemented
in Java :-(

I still, however, encourage you to do exactly same initial steps
nevertheless.  And I suggest you then try ask the Java team if they
would be interested in packaging it:
http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/JavaPackaging

Generally - also for others following this thread - I suggest look for
potential packaging volunteers among the various Debian teams - most of
them listed here: http://wiki.debian.org/Teams

Regards,