[Freedombox-discuss] FOAF developers taking FreedomBox into their equation

Henry Story henry.story at bblfish.net
Thu Mar 10 16:51:04 UTC 2011

On 10 Mar 2011, at 16:37, bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org wrote:

>>> Or perhaps the cost of complete replacement is low and I am worrying
>>> for naught.
>>
>> Why is it all or nothing? Why can't they be complementary?
>
> maybe not, maybe they are. Point is that this two solutions overlaps
> themselves a lot in the same functionnalities.

There are also a lot of differences. Working the pros and cons of each is going to take some time.

WebID is more web oriented, and fits in with the whole HTTP infrastructure. There may in fact be a way to do the same with PGP as WebID did to X509... There is an IETF spec that allows PGP to be used in TLS for example. There may be a way of tying a WebID URI into a PGP key... Those are things I have not explored, because I already have a lot on my plate  :-) But there is nothing to stop others looking there.

Currently I am starting simple to understand how linked data can help create pretty secure social networks, with the limitation currently being CAs. With DNSsec that will be CAs and DNS, which together is more secure. Then one could add...

Look forward to some research in the PGP webid space...

Henry

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/