[Freedombox-discuss] Fwd: Another freedombox talk to translate (Arthur Lutz - 27c3) (CC by-nc-nd doubts)

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 17:30:40 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Pablo Castellano <pablog at gnome.org> wrote:
> Hello. I'm forwarding the message I sent yesterday to the freedombox i18n
> mailing list, since maybe people subscribed there aren't too much into
> licenses.

:-)

(we'll do our best; I'll also hop on the i18n mailing list)

> Maybe someone here can answer me about these license doubts.
> The video is ready for upload, if everything is fine.
>
> Thanks!
> Pablo.

The no-derivs part of the CC by-nc-nd license does appear to prohibit
both shortening a video as well as transcribing/translating the audio.

Speaking of the license, where did you find the license listed? I
looked over the site, but didn't find any mention of license for the
media files.

To pick a version, here's the legal text for CC by-nc-nd 3.0:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/legalcode

Here's the specific text it says about "Adaptation":

"Adaptation" means a work based upon the Work, or upon the Work and
other pre-existing works, such as a translation, adaptation,
derivative work, ... and include ...any other form in which the Work
may be recast, transformed, or adapted including in any form
recognizably derived from the original, except that a work that
constitutes a Collection will not be considered an Adaptation for the
purpose of this License.

It seems pretty clear that the license is hostile to translations or subtitles.

The license offers more clarity on what is prohibited in this later section:

"...if You Reproduce, Distribute or Publicly Perform the Work either
by itself or as part of any Collections, You must not distort,
mutilate, modify or take other derogatory action in relation to the
Work which would be prejudicial to the Original Author's honor or
reputation.

If there was any doubt left in our minds, the language that one "must
not distort [or] modify" seems to pretty much sum up that this clip
may not be shortened (except, of course, in Fair Use/Fair Dealings
situations).

tl;dr: IMHO, the license prohibits the videos being cut, improved,
subtitled, etc., but at least we can distribute them.

But don't give up!

I'd try contacting the CCC and ask them if you may use the video (or
at least that subsection of the video) under a more permissive
license. I'd suggest CC-BY-SA 3.0 (or whatever version of the licenses
they're up to now).

Cheers,
-- R