[Freedombox-discuss] Japan

Thomas Lord lord at emf.net
Mon Mar 14 06:51:23 UTC 2011

I hope that I post this with humility and respect,
not a spirit of exploitation.

Slightly before the earthquake struck Japan I was
having dinner with some friends in the newspaper
industry.  Prior to our dinner I had emailed them
links to information about the freedombox project,
especially one of Eben Moglen's talk videos.

At dinner they gave some reaction.   I asked,
how can we interest people in the San Francisco
Bay Area in owning and operating their own
freedomboxes?   I started to talk a little bit
about freedom from centralized web services.

They interrupted me to say "I know you want a
revolution but mesh networks.  We're interested
in mesh networks.  For earthquake preparedness."