[Freedombox-discuss] Japan

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Mon Mar 14 08:26:09 UTC 2011

Hello Thomas, Dave,

Disaster preparedness is exactly the stimulus behind Serval Project
came into being.
It was following the Haiti earthquake that I sat down and thought
never again should this happen.
I couldn't stop the earthquakes, but I could stop communications being
taken down whenever an earthquake strikes.
My gut feeling is that phones will have a more important role to play
in disaster mitigation than plug computers, but it is not a 100%/0%
thing, and this is one of the reasons I am so keen that FB and Serval
tech should interoperate.

On the state funding front, we have had some nibbles, but I think we
will need to get a full prototype up before governments will be
interested.  They are rather risk averse, which does create some
paradoxes when dealing with mitigating risks from disaster :/

Paul.