[Freedombox-discuss] distributed DNS

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at pagekite.net
Tue Mar 15 11:35:33 UTC 2011

Hey,

I think I am missing something here - what problem do you want to solve with
this?  Are you talking about teaching Freedomboxes to be dynamic DNS
servers, or do you want to create an alternative to the existing dynamic DNS
providers out there?  (And if so, why?)

The hard part about dynamic DNS is not serving up the records - as you have
pointed out, DNS servers with pluggable back-ends make this trivially easy
to implement. It's all the management and infrastructure and policy you need
to make it secure and reliable - and in the end, someone has to pay the
bills for bandwidth and domain name registration. (Not terribly expensive,
but not free either.)

I've implemented a dynamic DNS service, on top of powerdns and redis.  It's
part of the infrastructure behind pagekite.net.  I wouldn't mind sharing
that code, I am sure some peer review would do it good. :-)

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM, <bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did again some more digging on this topic, and found that some people
> (including people from the "cloud community") already had thought of using
> couchDB as a DNS server backend.
>
> Seems like it's already possible using Powerdns (well, using the "pipe"
> backend) or Bind using the couch-sdb driver
> (http://github.com/jpmens/couch-sdb).
>
> Some of these links contains neat ideas that might be worth thinking, and
> would be a good start to search how to implement dynamic DNS on top of
> that.
>
> http://blog.fupps.com/2010/04/30/dns-backed-by-couchdb/
> http://blog.fupps.com/2010/05/05/powerdns-and-a-couchdb-backend/
>
> http://blog.fupps.com/2010/10/06/serving-dns-replies-from-a-couchdb-database-with-the-bind-name-server/