[Freedombox-discuss] [ask] booting and configuring

Joseph Annino joeaguy at joeaguy.com
Wed Mar 16 23:04:26 UTC 2011

So there was quite a discussion on this topic of different ways to do
it. I wanted to propose an other solution I don't think I've seen mentioned.

Linksys sells these "Valet" routers that use a usb dongle to
automatically configure and pair your computer to the router.  I think
this is a great, secure, and simple model for dealing with
configuration.  You do not need to have your freedombox both plugged in
and physically near your computer to make it work, and the USB dongle,
which is really nothing more than a small flash drive, lets you easily
and securely sneakernet between your PC and your device.

I imagine the following process:
- Freedombox comes with the dongle inserted.  Connect it to your network
(if wired) and turn it on.
- When it boots, it will write a public key out to the dongle, along
with some other information about your particular box.  After its done,
a light changes to let you know.
- Take the dongle and put it in a PC.   The dongle can contain:
    - Apps for Windows, Mac, and Linux that walk you through the basic
network configuration and creating and exchanging keys between your PC
and the freedombox.
    - If you are worried about the security of your installed OS, the
dongle could be bootable as well.
- The configuration established on your PC is written to the dongle.
- Connect the dongle to your freedombox, and it will read the
configuration, put itself on the network, etc.
- The box can then backup some critical data about its idenity to the
dongle, and you can then go and put it in a safe or something.

Not all of these steps need to happen, but I think using USB storage as
the main interface creates the most ease and compatibility possible.

If anyone has worked with one of these Valet routers, maybe we can look
into how they do it.