[Freedombox-discuss] blogging in the FB (was Re: Roadmap Brainstorming)

Les Orchard l.m.orchard at pobox.com
Fri Mar 18 18:41:14 UTC 2011

On 3/18/11 2:23 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> This may or may not entirely agree with what you mean, but: I'd like
>> my FreedomBox to be my command center for the cloud.
>>
>> It may itself be a service provider in a web of computers (eg. I run
>> Wordpress in my house on port 80). But, I'd also like mine to be a
>> private node that orchestrates the use of things like Amazon S3,
>> Rackspace, Nearly Free Speech, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
>
> Correct: That absolutely does not at all agree with what I mean.
>
> Orchestrating centralized services from home may be cloud computing,
> but not a silverlining of it and thus unrelated to FreedomBox!

Yeah, I figured we disagreed on that.

Personally, I think there's a spectrum / gradual path of cloud control
to be had, i.e.: from Facebook user; to FreedomBox user publishing to
Facebook; to FreedomBox user publishing to other FreedomBoxes. Skipping
the middle step might be a missed opportunity to bridge people across.

l.m.orchard at pobox.com
http://decafbad.com
{web,mad,computer} scientist