[Freedombox-discuss] Roadmap Brainstorming

Mathieu Jourdan mathieu.jourdan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 21:53:37 UTC 2011

2011/3/18 James Vasile <james at hackervisions.org>

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:03:20 +0100, Mathieu Jourdan <
> mathieu.jourdan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I made some mock-ups for the User Interface, which describes well what I
> > wish to be implemented in the FreedomBox.
> > I also added some of those points to the wiki.
> > You can have a look at :
> https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/UserInterface
> >
> > My girlfriend told me it was ugly. Maybe it is, but it gives an idea of
> some
> > features from a non-technical point of view.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mathieu
>
> Mathieu, I don't think those are ugly at all.  One of the big question
> marks around this device is the UX.  Not only do we not know what it
> will look like, we haven't figured out how or who will design it or even
> what the major design requirements are.  It's one of our biggest
> challenges.
>
> Efforts like yours are a step in the right direction. What else should
> we be doing to feel our way toward a design process?

I think the wiki, especially the first page, is not readable enough. In my
opinion, the first step could be to sort it out.

Today I procrastinate, so let's try to spot what could be improved on the
first page https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox :
 - the Freedom Box Project section
   - the logo breaks the bullet list, it should be on the right side but I
don't know why it is not
   - maybe the current bullet list sould be replaced by the 7 goals ?
 - the Projet Resources section is a mess
   - the main matter, links to other wiki pages, is indistinguishable from
the social network url
   - links should be sorted so that people willing to help could access
directly to pages related to their interests, ie one section about the UX,
holding one link to the user interface page, one link to the features
list... one section about authentication and security, one section about
hardware, one section about promoting the projet (the social network urls
above), one section for the legal stuff...
 - the Talks and presentations section is a mess too
   - maybe it should reffer to
http://freedomboxfndn.mirocommunity.org/(which should hold
transcriptions) ?
   - maybe this link should be at the top of the page, after the description
of the project ?
   - if none of the above, it should be on a different page

Remember this page is maybe the first one (and the last) people see, it
should not scare but say welcome. It's pretty hard to access relevant
information, whereas I've never seen so many links on a welcome page before
! As an example, try to reach the list of features from the first page...

Kind regards,
Mathieu