[Freedombox-discuss] legal problem w/ Twitter (et al.)

Thomas Lord lord at emf.net
Sat Mar 19 22:57:13 UTC 2011

This is a condensed reply to both Jonas and Lee.

I agree with Jonas that there is pretty much no stopping
simply forwarding updates from FB to Twit or FacB.  That
is not the problem.

If I publish on FacB or Twit -- or if I haven't yet
converted all my friends away from it -- I want to read
what other people post there, including what they say

One way to give users reasonable control over their
logs on those services (which only solves one part of
the privacy problem, sure) is if we can just download
everything the user can see (just keep syncing my
"Wall" or my Twit stream onto my FB, and I'll read it
there and often reply via other channels).

It is *that* functionality that already leads to legal
problems in both services.

"Push and forget" - just forward items to FacB or Twit
and *never reading those services* is easy for free software
to do without legal problems.    Giving users alternative
ways to read those services, though, requires using
the API -- and that's where you get into legal problems.

-t