[Freedombox-discuss] Network effect

Henry Story henry.story at bblfish.net
Mon Mar 21 09:32:31 UTC 2011

The relation between the Network Effect and the Social Web is one of the main themes of my presentation "Philosophy and the Social Web" available with audio in a number of formats here
http://bblfish.net/tmp/2010/10/26/

for pdf only I recommend
http://bblfish.net/tmp/2010/10/26/PhiloWeb-small-keynote.pdf

The network effect of a global distributed social web is of course much much bigger than any, even the biggest currently existing webs, due to Reed's Law . So it's just a question of getting going and working in an open way.

The most difficult is psychological (for some): not to want to own it.

On 20 Mar 2011, at 22:44, Boaz wrote:

> One of our most vicious enemies in the beginning will of course be this thing called network effect, which I'll define as that property of both communication protocols and walled-garden style communication services wherein its value to an individual prospective user is increased the more people already use it and decreased the less people already use it.

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/