[Freedombox-discuss] Libre Planet Followup

James Vasile james at hackervisions.org
Mon Mar 21 20:08:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:51:59 -0500, Charles N Wyble <charles at knownelement.com> wrote:

> > * First, OLPC did not test its interface with end users early enough. I
> > talked to multiple people who thought this should have been done
> > sooner.  FreedomBox should put the target end user into the design
> > process early.
>
> Very true. Finding those people might be hard, as they are probably
> trying to stay alive.

Well, I was thinking more average folks without tech skills, but yes,
the target users in emergency circumstances will be hard to engage for
testing.

> > Meshing is hard.  Nobody I met knows anybody who is nailing mesh
> > networks.  I'm going to get all the mesh heads together soon for a
> > real conversation to see if we can work towards a recommendation on
> > the most promising avenue.
>
> Um.... *waves*.  I guess I need to get out more. I've built a few mesh
> networks over the past year. It's not that hard (it used to be quite
> difficult, but the underlying bits have really matured).  Us mesh
> heads hang out at villagetelco.org and a few other places (olsr.org,
> batman.org) :) We have an annual gathering already,
> http://battlemesh.org/
>
> Join the mailing list and say hi. Mesh is moving along, slowly and
> steadily.  Mesh is the underpinning of an open network. Open networks
> are the underpinning of everything else.
>
> I feel that mesh networks have reached the point of maturity, that
> they can stand on their own. I feel they are readily and rapidly
> deployable (plug and play) due to the work of villagetelco.org.

Can you tell me the largest mesh actually created with these mature
bits?  I'm told there are scaling problems because the routing
difficulty grows faster than the nodes (e.g. it's not O(n) but more like
O(n^2).

Best regards,
James