[Freedombox-discuss] Libre Planet Followup

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Mon Mar 21 20:26:39 UTC 2011

Hi James,

> Can you tell me the largest mesh actually created with these mature
> bits?  I'm told there are scaling problems because the routing
> difficulty grows faster than the nodes (e.g. it's not O(n) but more like
> O(n^2).

I am aware of ~1000 nodes, which is actually more than you need if you
combine mesh as the "last mile" with what infrastructure happens to be
available to gate traffic onto an internet (not necessarily the
internet) to get it from place to place on the mesh.
The mesh itself can be continuous and much larger, provided that each
node only cares about a limited number of the most local nodes.
This limits the routing complexity to be more or less constant for the
local mesh, and O(n) at worst for the wormholes between regions on the
mesh.

This is exactly what ServalProject.org is implementing.

In short, I agree with Charles, that while not yet at their zenith,
mesh networks are sufficiently mature to factor in and to use.

Paul.