[Freedombox-discuss] OpenPGP certificates in X.509 [was: Re: FOAF developers taking FreedomBox into their equation]

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Mar 23 20:10:04 UTC 2011

On 03/10/2011 06:09 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> i'll put defer these points briefly -- i have sketches of plans to try
> to tie OpenPGP certificates into X.509 in simpler ways that RFC 6091,
> but i have not been able to find the time to make them presentable yet.
>  Feel free to poke me about it :)

And a fortnight later, i've finally gotten around to writing up a draft:

 https://lists.riseup.net/www/arc/monkeysphere/2011-03/msg00027.html

The git repository mentioned there is:

 git://lair.fifthhorseman.net/~dkg/msva-perl

This is just one small part of the puzzle -- it attempts to answer the
question: how to we package and transmit OpenPGP keys into X.509?

There is also code within that repository that validates these
certificates against the OpenPGP WoT, but it relies on cooperation from
the various applications -- they need to know when to ask for validation
and how to describe to the validator the context in which the
certificate is being proposed for use.

Feedback welcome,

	--dkg