[Freedombox-discuss] Iomega iConnect lessons for FreedomBox

Boaz alt.boaz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 00:25:08 UTC 2011

>> Thanks for the info.  We're going to need something of this kind, so I'm
>> quite interested in it.  We already have the Debian wiki, and I'm a
>> little hesitant to have two wikis.  But maybe a dev wiki and a help wiki
>> makes sense.  This takes us in a useful direction.  Thanks, Les!
>
>Yes. This is essential. Have something for end users to look at and interact with. Have
>developer stuff separate. Of course anyone is welcome to participate in either forum,
>however it enforces initial separation and not having information overload. Having a
>hard core technical wiki and a brochure/engagement site is useful.

Absolutely.  A nontechnical end user has totally different interest
than a developer.  He wants to know "how do I do some simple thing in
the interface?" or "why is it not working?".

>For example look at bitcoin. They have bitcoin.org and recently weusecoins.org has sprung up.
>Big difference between them and the audiences that they serve.

Les:
>At Mozilla, we have a UX design team: http://planet.firefox.com/ux/
>
>Their decisions are sometimes controversial, but there are at least people considering the issues overall and making the decisions.

Well, their decisions may sometimes be controversial, but Mozilla
Firefox is one of the only free software desktop applications to have
gained any significant adaption in the main stream.  You're doing
something right.

Mozilla is the best model we have so far of how to get free software
into people's hands.