[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox user interface

Jonathan Zeppettini jonzep at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 01:36:41 UTC 2011

Mathieu,

The interface does not necessarily need to be for "administrative"
purposes, however the user needs to be able to access the services the
box is providing through some sort of web interface (i.e., going to
http://freedom or http://192.168.1.108). The OpenMediaVault interface
is built on top of Ext JS [1]. As for the "XP look" it is likely
familiar to the majority of the FB target audience which could be a
strong selling point. Ext JS seems like a good potential candidate for
an interface (and is available under GPLv3). There are demos for a
calendar, feed reader, and more on their site [2]. Seeing as how the
FreedomBox project seeks to "stand on the shoulders of giants" by
using Debian and the best open source software the community has to
offer, it would make sense to not write an interface from scratch.

[1] http://blog.openmediavault.org/?page_id=4
[2] http://www.sencha.com/products/extjs/examples/